Monday, September 5, 2011

Omega 14 Sailboat data



I have an Omega 14 Sailboat. Sometimes called the Capri Omega 14. It is the predecessor of the popular Capri 14.2 made by Catalina Yachts. I have owned two Lido 14’s in the past and I can make some comparisons with that boat. The Omega has a rised floor making it self rescuing. When water gets in the boat it runs out the open scuppers in the transom because the floor is higher than the waterline. It has a reasonable sized jib instead of that little handkerchief they call a jib on the Lido. The Omega looks good and sails well. I have had two adults and my 11 year old grandson out in the boat in good winds and it worked fine with one exception. There is no centerboard trunk. Originally there was a rubber gasket at the bottom of the CB slot that kept water from entering the boat. At planing speeds water definitely starts running into the boat. And…fortunately, out the back.

Some people have put small motors on these and the Capri 14.2 types, but I would not do that for my purposes. I sail in a small harbor near my house and occasionally leave the harbor and sail in Hood Canal, part of Puget Sound. If the wind gets anywhere near 15 knots I’m headed for home. The boat sails well, but the way, with only the main up. I single hand frequently. I am adding a Barney Post (like the Capri 14.2 has) because the original arrangement does’t leave much room between tiller and mainsheet cleat when tacking.

I have raced all sorts of equal size boats with favorable results. I consistently beat a Lido 14 in an informal series of races, but it is my understanding that in mixed fleets the Lido generally does better.

Mine was built in 1971 and has been completely restored after many years of abuse. I am developing some measurement data and scale diagrams as well as some other technical data and you can email me if you have an Omega and are interested in that. I will add things to this blog from time to time, so check again. I have lots of data to add. jimjuliem@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment